Monday, June 2, 2014

Albstadt UCI Junior Series - Albstadt, Germany

I was super pumped for the World Cup, since I had missed out on the race in Czech Republic the weekend before. I don't have UCI points so I expected a call up pretty far back, but lucky enough I got called to the line in 55th of 125 Junior riders. A Swiss rider pulled up beside me and began to mark his position by elbowing me in the stomach. I held my position and got ready for the fast start. With 15 seconds to go I was startled by many riders growling, spitting, yelling, and breathing out loudly. The gun went off, and the chaos began. It was a constant all out sprint trying not to crash in the massive group of aggressive racers. It wasn't long before we we're off the bike running the first climb. Riders were jamming they're bars into each other and elbowing people down. I had never been so mean to other riders in a bike race, it was absolutely crucial for holding position. I ran the majority of the first climb then was able to get on before the first descent. I decided to ride the first B line because the A line was super jammed with riders running it. I would have passed some riders there but the rider in front of me crashed taking me down with him. Riders yelled as we took up the trail. I rode the rest of that descent behind a rider from Latvia who was slower, opening a gap on the group in front of me. I attacked past him and surged up the next climb. From there I began to feel very sick. My heart and chest hurt badly. I was hurting badly but made sure to give my all to the end. My body was definitely not healthy. I did not feel normal. I pushed to the end finishing in 122nd. I was super disappointed, but I knew that there wasn't much I could do since I was not feeling very healthy.

I'm psyched I was able to experience my first World Cup here in amazing Germany. I learn more and more every race I do here in Europe. I've had an incredible time racing with the best in the World. I'm excited to head back home next week after one last week of epic riding in Switzerland, living in an 'Alp Traum'. Thanks so much to all help and support from: USA Cycling, Pat and Cathy Batten, Dario Fredrick, Matt McCourtney, and my family and friends. Also to Specialized, Whole Athlete, SRAM, OSMO nutrition, Pro Bar, DNA Cycling, Oakley, ESI grips, Kewl fit, Pro Gold lubricants, Elemental Herbs, Bungalow Munch, and DZ nuts. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, man. Bummer that you weren't feeling well, but you've got some great experience under the belt, now and I'm sure next go round will be much better for you. Either way, you're killing it. Keep it up, man. -KDAY

    ReplyDelete